Someone from work today emailed me about the recipe for these wonderful muffins. If you like chocolate and caramel, no point in trying to make the perfect cupcake with home-made caramel sauce (although that also gives pure satisfaction). Rather, chop some Mars bars and make these wonderful muffins!
- 175g soft unsalted butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 6 Mars bars, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150ml milk
- Cream the butter and sugar in a big bowl until you get a soft and pale fluffy mixture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- add the vanilla essence and beat that in too.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a bowl, then add t the mixture and stir that in with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Do not overmix.
- Pour in the milk and mix into the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius and grease and line a 12-muffin hole tray or use muffin cases (I usually go for the latter).
- Add the chopped Mars bars to the mixture and give one final stir, then divide the mixture evenly and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool before tasting it or you’ll burn your tongue!
- Don’t overfill the muffin cases as the mixture will rise quite a lot in the oven and you risk overflowing the tray.